Whether your monitor doesn’t work or you want to expand your workstation, your laptop can be used as a monitor for your computer. Content creators often use multiple monitors to make their workflow more frictionless and reduce the time it takes to switch between applications on the computer. If you own a laptop, you can make a similar setup for your own. It’s actually simple to do so! In this article, we will explain how you can use a laptop as a monitor for your computer. This will streamline your workflow and make it much more convenient for you to use your computer!
HOW TO USE A LAPTOP AS A MONITOR ON WINDOWS?
- First of all, start your laptop and computer.
- As soon as you boot into Windows, right-click on the desktop and click on Properties.
- From there, you will notice a second screen besides the screen of your laptop; move it to the same position as your laptop’s screen.
- It will ask you if you want to enable the second monitor, click on Yes.
- Before clicking on Apply, ensure that the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor option is checked.
- After that, click on Apply.
If you’re not certain which screen is same number in Properties, you can click on the Identify option and the respected numbers will appear on each of the screens. Another complication that may occur is that the laptop screen will become the primary screen of your computer. If you want to use your laptop as the main monitor for your computer, you don’t have to change anything. However, if you want to use your laptop as the second monitor for your computer, you can;
- Choose the monitor that you want to use as the primary screen.
- Check the Use this device as the primary monitor option.
- After that, click on Apply.
You can also configure these settings inside of the NVIDIA Control Panel and AMD Radeon Settings, depending on the GPU your computer uses. And that’s it; you can now use a laptop as a monitor for your computer!
HOW TO USE A LAPTOP AS A MONITOR ON MACOS?
On macOS, it’s actually much more convenient, as Apple has made their OS with these options in mind. If you want to use your MacBook as a monitor for your iMac, you can;
- Head over to System Preferences.
- Click on Displays.
- If your macOS hasn’t detected your laptop as the second screen, click on the Detect Displays option.
- Choose the Arrangement option and you can reposition your screens as per your desire.
- You can reposition the Dock on either screen if you want to.
It’s that simple! Whether you’re using a Windows laptop or a MacBook, you can use it as a monitor for your computer. Whatever your workflow may include, more space for applications makes it convenient and streamlines everything. We hope that this article has assisted you in how you can use a laptop as a monitor for your computer.
If there are any further queries, do mention them below and we will respond to you as soon as we can! If you have any recommendations or a better method, you can also comment on that to assist others.