VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a virtualized server and in simple terms can be referred to as a Virtual Machine which is sold as a service by any Internet Hosting Service. VPS is obtained for private use by one individual or entity although it can be subdivided and sold with a cPanel installation. There are several factors that make VPS Hosting popular and trusted! This article will help you to gain knowledge about VPS hosting and give you an understanding about how it works.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS Hosting is a type of web hosting server which is selected for hosting websites or applications online. This is a physical server and is divided into many single units and each unit has its own operating system. It is an intermediate option between the Dedicated Hosting and Shared Hosting. With VPS Hosting, every website hosted on the powerful virtual private server on powerful hardware performs excellently as long as the resources / configuration of the server is adequate for the load.
How Does VPS Hosting Work?
VPS Hosting technology is similar to Virtualbox or VMware. This program allows running several virtualized operating systems on a single machine. The physical machine is further divided into different virtual compartments and the server software is setup separately that enhances the functioning capability of each unit. The major aspects that define VPS Hosting are Compartmentalization, Dedicated Resources, Root Access and Isolated Access. The setup step of VPS involves compartmentalization.
The division of the physical machine into different components ensures effective resource allocation for different websites. The virtual component in VPS is allotted a specific quota which is helpful in using the resources of the main server. This ensures that the hosted website operates like the allocated resources are assigned specifically to the website. The VPS works independently after the steps of compartmentalization and resource allocation is successfully completed. With this step, the users get easy access to the root server in their compartment of the server.
The users are allowed to select any individual operating system and configure the current system. The key characteristic of VPS is its isolated environment which ensures the safety of the server from other compartments in the same physical server, although the onus of securing their own server rests with individual users.
VPS vs Shared Hosting:
- With Shared Hosting, the same physical server is shared with number of businesses and users but VPS being private server hosting is wholly dedicated for a single website and will not get affected by other websites.
- VPS hosting is a good choice for all those sites that are simpler and don’t receive excessive amounts of traffic.
- VPS hosting is often picked as a perfect solution to get root access on a server without spending expense of full dedicated server or a shared one.
- Shared Hosting is good for blogging, startups, small or midsize companies and personal websites, on the other hand VPS is an ideal choice for rapidly expanding businesses or businesses planning to host numbers of websites or companies expecting substantial increase in traffic in few months or websites having high traffic requiring high bandwidth and security.
VPS vs Dedicated Hosting:
- VPS hosting is relatively less expensive than Dedicated Hosting as you get a few number of resources with VPS hosting.
- Dedicated hosting services are very expensive as compared to VPS. Thus, it’s always advised to start with VPS until your website generate enough revenue to cut the heavy costs of dedicated hosting.
- VPS hosting allows admins to specify the total amount of memory, storage as well as processing capacity as per the requirements while on Dedicated Hosting different options can be configured during the setup that includes RAM, Processors, Hard Drives and more.
VPS vs Cloud Hosting:
- Cloud Hosting is regarded as an extension of clustered hosting where websites are hosted on multiple servers while VPS is a physical server that is housed in the data center.
- With Cloud Hosting, the resources are spread across different shared machines while with VPS, the machine is shared with a number of users.
- In Cloud Hosting, data is accessible over the Internet on any device with Cloud, but VPS stays limited to configured devices.
- Average users have less control over the hosting parameters of Cloud Hosting but VPS Hosting offers the ability to customize and manage different configurations of the server partition.
Linux VPS Hosting vs Windows VPS Hosting:
- Linux is more flexible while Windows offers direct access to the VPS server from the interface.
- Linux works seamlessly with open source programming languages like PHP, while Windows VPS is suitable for ASP or ASP.NET.
- Linux VPS is best for businesses opting for open source while Windows VPS is perfect for businesses that rely on Microsoft programs and software.
Above were the different aspects of VPS hosting, and how it works. Comparison of VPS hosting with other types of hosting in terms of your requirements will help you decide the right hosting for you.